Steve’s Floribean Chicken Chili
I enjoy visiting the Epicurious website for recipes and feeling a part of the foodie community. This chicken chili recipe comes from Steve Delaney of West Chester, Pennsylvania, and he says, “My recipe reflects the Caribbean influences in the foods of Miami, where I lived for many years.”
For fun, I recommend you set an elegant table when you are serving this delicious chili. Place your Dining Stones in the oven after you set your beans aside and before you start your stock of onions, pablano peppers and sausage. They will be heated properly when the chili is ready for serving. This recipe makes 8 to 10 servings … enjoy!!!
- 5 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 carrots, halved
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 3 bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup each chopped (1/4 inch) onion and poblano pepper
- 8 ounces diced (1/2 inch) andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon each ground coriander, cumin and chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons each red-wine vinegar, molasses and chopped chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
For garnishes (optional):
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 each ripe mango and tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Monterey pepper Jack cheese, optional
1. Place chicken along with next 8 ingredients in a large, heavy pot; add water just to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a bowl. Strain the broth, return it to the pot and reserve. Shred the chicken and reserve.
2. Add the beans to the reserved broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes, skimming any foam. Drain beans, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid; set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, poblano pepper and sausage; cook for 8 minutes. Add coriander, cumin, and chili powder; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, chipotle, sugar, and the reserved bean liquid. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Add diced tomato, cilantro, reserved beans and chicken. Cook for 10 minutes longer.
4. Prepare garnishes: Combine sour cream and chives in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the mango, tomato, and cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve the chili topped with chive-sour cream, mango salsa, and cheese, if desired.